Alexander Zakupowsky, Jr.
Alexander Zakupowsky handles federal tax controversy matters at all judicial and administrative levels. His practice focuses in particular on tax accounting, transfer pricing, and tax matters specific to a number of industries. He has first chair litigation experience. In addition, he has handled legislative and policy matters for taxpayers and industry groups.
Mr. Zakupowsky resolves issues of importance to specific industries and coalitions of taxpayers with the IRS and the Treasury's Office of Tax Policy. He has extensive experience with a number of IRS administrative and compliance programs.
Mr. Zakupowsky has served as outside tax counsel to a number of industry associations including long-standing relationships with the Edison Electric Institute and the American Gas Association.
Clients quoted by Chambers emphasize that Mr. Zakupowsky has "great judgment," emphasizing "his ability to take what is generally a very complex issue and simplify it into a concrete, yet simple idea for how to get things done."
Before joining Miller & Chevalier in 1984, Mr. Zakupowsky served as an adviser to the Assistant Secretary of Tax Policy for the U.S. Department of the Treasury and was a partner in a Big-4 accounting firm.
Mr. Zakupowsky is a frequent speaker on tax matters.
- Represented two coalitions of taxpayers in obtaining published guidance from the IRS on specific tax matters to substantially reduce administrative burden and controversy.
- Represented foreign-based multinational corporations in obtaining a number of successful advance pricing agreements and competent authority agreements.
- Litigated and successfully settled a $100 million plus tax controversy filed in a U.S. District Court.
- Advisor to the Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 1976 - 1978
Rankings and Recognition
- Chambers USA: Tax (District of Columbia), 2010 - 2016
- Legal 500: Tax: Domestic Tax, 2015
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®: Tax, 2007 - 2011, 2013 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Litigation & Controversy - Tax, 2011 - 2017
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Former Chair, Tax Accounting Problems Committee, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Tax & Accounting Committee, Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Section, American Bar Association
- United States Tax Court
- Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1972
- B.S., Georgetown University, 1968