Alejandra Montenegro Almonte
Alejandra Montenegro Almonte practices in the area of international corporate compliance across a variety of regulatory matters, focusing primarily on corruption and economic sanctions. Her experience on corruption and sanctions matters is multifaceted and includes internal investigations, voluntary disclosures, risk assessments, compliance program development, trainings, and audits. She has represented multinational companies before various government agencies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC), the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Before joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Montenegro Almonte was General Counsel for the North American and Latin American Division of gategroup, a global provider of products, services, and solutions related to the onboard experience of airline and rail passengers. In that role, she oversaw all legal affairs for eight of gategroup's subsidiaries and was the strategic advisor to the senior and executive management teams of the United States, Canada, and Latin America on all legal and regulatory matters arising in North America and Latin America, including regulatory, compliance, litigation, and transactional matters. While at gategroup, Ms. Montenegro Almonte developed and implemented compliance programs across her Division, including on corruption and economic sanctions. As Chair of gategroup's North American and Latin American Business Compliance Committees, she led a cross-functional management team to proactively manage compliance matters across the Americas.
Prior to joining gategroup, Ms. Montenegro Almonte was a litigation associate at two Am Law 100 firms. While at Harvard Law School, she served as president of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau.
Ms. Montenegro Almonte is a frequent speaker on compliance and litigation issues at national conferences, including the American Conference Institute (ACI) and American Bar Association (ABA).
- Advised cross-functional teams on new business ventures, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions in North America and Latin America. Structured strategic ventures across the region. Drafted and negotiated key documents, including offer letters, letters of intent, term sheets, joint venture agreements and share purchase agreements.
- Managed comprehensive compliance framework that included internal audits and investigations and routine and targeted trainings in North America and Latin America.
- Successfully represented the company position in matters before the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Represented clients in international arbitrations, internal investigations and complex litigation matters.
- Division General Counsel, gategroup, 2011 - 2016
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board Member, DC Law Students in Court, 2015 - present
- Member, Global Legal Task Force Meeting, District of Columbia Bar, 2015 - present
- Board Member, Lagniappe Education Foundation, 2006 - present
- Member, Steering Committee, Airline Service Association, 2015
- Co-Coordinator of HBA-DC Mentorship Program, Hispanic Bar Association, 2001 - 2002
- District of Columbia
- New York
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2001
- B.A., Columbia University, 1998