Alejandra Montenegro Almonte
Alejandra Montenegro Almonte practices in the areas of international corporate compliance, focusing on matters in Latin America and those involving the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), internal investigations, complex commercial litigation and risk management. She represents companies before various government agencies, including the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). She advises clients on commercial, transactional, regulatory and employment issues and provides training on a wide range of legal and compliance matters. In her private practice and in-house roles, she developed and had responsibility for the practical implementation of regional and global compliance programs, including conducting training on the FCPA and other anti-corruption laws, business ethics, labor and employment and international sanctions and business ethics.
Before joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Montenegro Almonte was Division General Counsel at gategroup, a global provider of products, services and solutions related to the onboard experience of airline and rail passengers. In that role, she oversaw all legal affairs for eight of gategroup's subsidiaries and was the strategic advisor to the senior and executive management teams of the United States, Canada and Latin America. Ms. Montenegro Almonte managed and advised on all aspects of litigation, regulatory and compliance matters arising in North America and Latin America, and was responsible for a number of internal investigations. As Chair of gategroup's North American and Latin American Business Compliance Committees, she led a cross-function crisis management team, proactively coordinating with key business leaders. She also managed key risk issues arising within the corporate security and risk management functions at the company. Prior to joining gategroup, Ms. Montenegro Almonte was a Litigation Associate at two Am Law 100 firms. While at Harvard Law School, she served as president of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau.
Ms. Montenegro Almonte is a frequent speaker on compliance and litigation issues at national conferences, including the American Conference Institute (ACI) and American Bar Association (ABA).
- Advised cross-functional teams on new business ventures, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions in North America and Latin America. Structured strategic ventures across the region. Drafted and negotiated key documents, including offer letters, letters of intent, term sheets, joint venture agreements and share purchase agreements.
- Managed comprehensive compliance framework that included internal audits and investigations and routine and targeted trainings in North America and Latin America.
- Successfully represented the company position in matters before the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Represented clients in international arbitrations, internal investigations and complex litigation matters.
- Division General Counsel, gategroup, 2011 - 2016
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board Member, DC Law Students in Court, 2015 - present
- Member, Global Legal Task Force Meeting, District of Columbia Bar, 2015 - present
- Board Member, Lagniappe Education Foundation, 2006 - present
- Member, Steering Committee, Airline Service Association, 2015
- Co-Coordinator of HBA-DC Mentorship Program, Hispanic Bar Association, 2001 - 2002
- District of Columbia
- New York
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2001
- B.A., Columbia University, 1998