Addy R. Schmitt practices in the areas of criminal and civil litigation. Before joining the firm, Ms. Schmitt served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia from January 2010 to January 2014, where she represented federal executive agencies and employees at all stages of litigation in matters pending before the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Ms. Schmitt's cases involved a wide range of legal issues, including employment discrimination, administrative procedure, tort, fraud, and Freedom of Information Act claims.
Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney's office, Ms. Schmitt served as counsel and career law clerk to the Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia from 2007-2009, and as a term law clerk to Judge Sullivan from 2004-2005, where she assisted him with many complex and high-profile criminal and civil matters, including a number of jury and non-jury trials. Ms. Schmitt also worked as an Associate for the law firm of Dickstein Shapiro, LLP from 2003-2004 and 2005-2007, where she handled a wide range of civil cases at all stages of the litigation process.
Prior to law school, Ms. Schmitt worked as a staff assistant in the office of Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA) and as a lobbyist for a large national non-profit organization. Ms. Schmitt earned her B.A. from Georgetown University and a J.D. from American University Washington College of Law, where she graduated summa cum laude and received such honors as the Dean's Award for Professional Responsibility in the Clinical Program, the Mooers Trophy for outstanding student in the Trial Practice Program and the Gillett-Mussey Dean's Fellowship for academic achievement.
- Represent individuals under investigation by federal law enforcement agencies and defend individuals indicted on felony charges in federal court.
- Represent small business in complex civil suit in federal court challenging a federal agency’s decisions under the Administrative Procedure Act.
- Defended large technology firm in civil False Claims Act suit in federal court.
- Defended court-appointed receiver in tort case brought in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
- Assistant United States Attorney, Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia, 2010 - 2014
Rankings and Recognition
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2016
- U.S. Department of Justice Special Achievement Award, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Special Service Award, 2008 - 2009
Professional and Community Involvement
- Adjunct Professor, American University Washington College of Law
- Board of Directors and President, Abramson Scholarship Foundation
- Chair, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel
- Chair, Superior Court of the District of Columbia Magistrate Judge Advisory Merit Section Panel
- Member, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Committee on Grievances
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- Member, Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court
- Member, Lawyers' Club of Washington
- Member, The Barristers
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Clerk, The Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law, summa cum laude
- B.A., Georgetown University